MultiLines is the ideal tool for calculating the line constants of any complex arrangement of conductors, including cables, pipes and pipe-enclosed cables, whether buried or aboveground. It also computes capacitive and electromagnetic induction effects on ungrounded conductors and electric fields generated by energized conductors in air. Moreover it can be used with distribution and transmission lines to determine residual and fault current distributions between a central grounding system and all conductor paths including neutrals, shield wires, metallic sheaths and counterpoises. Furthermore, detailed inductive interference analyses involving grounded or ungrounded conductors can be conducted accurately.
MultiLines consists of the TRALIN, FCDIST and SPLITS engineering modules
MultiLines features the following capabilities:
- Accommodates any arrangement of multi-phase conductors: pipe-enclosed cables, pipelines, solid, hollow, stranded and composite conductors, insulated and bare conductors, overhead and buried conductors, and irregular phase configurations. All cable conductors can have a core, sheath, armor, and arbitrary insulations.
- Computes Maxwell potential coefficients, shunt capacitances, self and mutual impedances, and admittances for all conductors on a per-conductor basis or a per-phase basis, with skywires or static wires being eliminated or treated as distinct conductors, at your option. Get phase or symmetrical sequence domain components.
- For regular overhead conductor arrangements, conductor characteristics can be specified on a per-circuit basis and the phase bundle configuration is specified to reduce data entry time.
- For overhead conductor arrangements with little regularity, conductors can be specified one at a time and may be completely different from one another.
- For systems which include buried conductors such as pipelines and pipe-enclosed cables, conductors are specified individually or as a group.
- An extensive conductor database is available to ease input operations.
- Frequency, skin effects, and earth characteristics are accurately accounted for. The thickness, resistivity, permeability and permittivity of up to three horizontal soil layers can be specified.
- Computes the magnetically induced voltages resulting in ungrounded conductors based on the currents you specify for the other conductors. Also, computes the electrostatic potential induced in one conductor due to the potentials you specify on the other conductors.
- Determines electric fields generated by overhead conductors at any set of points on conductor surfaces and elsewhere.
- Analyzes simple circuit models to calculate residual and short-circuit current distributions in every span of the neutrals (and other metallic return paths) of a multi-terminal power network.
The SPLITS module adds the following capabilities to the MultiLines software package
- Simulates detailed circuit models to calculate load residual and short-circuit current distributions in every span of a multiconductor, multi-phase power network, whether balanced or not.
- Analyzes electromagnetic interference effects, currents and voltages in every span of a multiconductor, multi-phase power network and in neighboring victim circuits sharing the same corridor.
- Ground impedances or interconnections to other conductors can be specified for any number of conductors at any number of locations.
- Analyzes complex, multi-phase, multi-winding transformers in full detail. Built-in single-phase and 3-phase multi-winding transformer models, including autotransformers, are also available.
Extensive conductor databases